LucyLovesCircus

Monday, 4 January 2016

Chapter 123: Why blog?


Photo: www.jeanjullien.com
creator of the Peace for Paris symbol

"She never entirely let go of the notion that if she reached far enough with her thoughts she might find someone waiting, that if two people were to cast their thoughts outwards they might somehow meet somewhere in the middle."
- Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven

I have just finished reading "Station Eleven", a terrific post-apocalyptic novel on memory, loss and the regenerative power of art. And as we start the new year, the quote above sums up for me the great WHY? Why write? Why blog? Why put anything out there on social media?! Now onto my next read, "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss, the narrator again strikes a chord:
"When I was a boy I liked to write. It was the only thing I wanted to do with my life. I invented imaginary people and filled notebooks with their stories. [...] When I got older I decided I wanted to be a real writer. I tried to write about real things. I wanted to describe the world, because to live in an undescribed world was too lonely." 

Looking back through the most popular posts of the past year (in terms of number of hits) I am struck by the fact that half these posts almost didn't get written - either because I nearly didn't make the event concerned, or because I was nervous about revealing too much of myself. Time and again, the reward has been a private email, a public voice, an invitation, a nomination...  and I return again and again to this idea that our true strength lies in opening up like a fan, even when the temptation is to snap shut. 

So thank you for connecting, looking forward now to the year ahead.


From top left (anticlockwise) - click on link for corresponding post:


No comments:

Post a Comment