I'm looking for a clown at the Ensemble Festival. A Catalan clown, specifically. Why do I keep bringing nationality into it? Partly nostalgia. I lived in Catalonia for a while, and for much longer down the road in Valencia, and there is something about this part of Spain that has always pulled me back. Years later, once I was more involved in the circus scene, I was on a choir trip with my son's school and, when I wasn't at the lectern reading the Bidding Prayers in the Sagrada Familia (chapter 112 - click here), I was finding circus everywhere, whether on the street, at the training centre La Central de Circ (see chapter 110 - click here) or in the Croydon-equivalent outskirts of Barcelona, in a warehouse housing Cronopis (Chapter 111 - click here), watching a cabaret that was utterly brilliant and very fringe. But there is more to it than that. It was Barcelona, not Covent Garden, where I first encountered living statues, lined up all the way down the Rambla. Catalonia has a particular history of street arts, circus and creative self-expression that I’ve always found compelling, from the countercultural Barcelona of Almodóvar’s All About My Mother to the pioneers documented in Dorothy Max Prior’s fascinating and in-depth article, Homage to Catalonia's Street Arts and Circus Pioneers Total Theatre (click here)
So, where is this clown? Cris Clown, otherwise known as Cristina Solé, is almost hidden in plain sight. I’m practically underneath the tree before I notice her, hanging single-handedly from a branch, carefree and utterly lackadaisical. She gestures for me to come closer and take a picture. I move in. Slowly she rotates around the branch, as though physics is simply turning her, but it turns out to be a ruse. She is positioning herself to take a surreptitious gobful of water and then spout it all over me. Serves me right. Brilliantly done. Later she catches another dad taking a selfie, right on his bald pate. This time I know what’s coming and capture it for posterity. How on earth is she hanging there for so long, so unconcerned, striking up nonsensical yet perfectly understandable conversations with passers-by? She just riffs off whatever randomness comes her way, so no two performances can ever be the same. A mother wanders directly underneath her with a buggy, so focused on her child that she is completely oblivious to the stranger hanging above her head. Cris’s face is a picture of perplexity. The crowd ripples with laughter. At another point she produces a contraption made from straws joined together into one ridiculously long straw, which she uses to sip a passer-by’s beer, or lowers a little basket to collect objects for her aerial amusement.
The kids are the best. Their delight and shrieks are infectious. They have no inhibitions. One boy shoves his sister towards her. “Get her, please, will you?!” Someone else chucks an apple. She takes a bite and lobs it back. The game continues back and forth. Then she lobs it to me. I catch it in one hand, which surprises me, and then realise it is because I am so utterly relaxed watching this gentle comedy and play that my over-thinking, chatterbox mind has gone walkabout. I love that there are other performers I have seen in the crowd too. They all come to support each other. There is something lovely about that, this sense of an outdoor arts community watching and willing each other on.
The show is called U.F.A. – Unidentified Flying Object in the Feminine. I liked the wordplay, the feminine -a ending in Spanish. And there is something about seeing a woman hanging there that makes you do a double-take. It is encouraging. I remember at Chessington, once upon a time when I was at my peak in aerial fitness, there was a fairground game where two punters would dead-hang and aim to last for two minutes. The two guys manning it didn't give me a second glance as I stood right in front of them volunteering, so I had to call out to ask to join in. I went up against a man. I didn't manage the full two minutes, but I hung on for a good minute and a half before my upper arms began to spasm, to calls of encouragement from other women in the crowd. “You go, lady!” And, most importantly, in their eyes, I beat the other guy by a good 20 seconds!
No comments:
Post a Comment