On Friday I went back to Jacksons Lane for a sharing of Kook Ensemble's beautiful show SAND ahead of its Edinburgh Fringe run. Chatting afterwards to another performer, Tamzen, about weekend plans, I learned she was going the following day to see the Palestinian Circus and its show Step and a Half at Soho Theatre Walthamstow. Wait, what? How did I miss that?!
The show Step and a Half is made up of graduates from
The Palestinian Circus School, an organisation which came onto my radar over
twenty years ago. A university friend had sown the seeds of my own aerial
journey when she had begun taking trapeze classes at what was then the Circus
Space in Old Street, now the National Centre for Circus Arts (NCCA). Her day
job then took her to the Foreign Office in Jerusalem, where she also worked to
secure necessary travel and security permits so Palestinian staff at youth
circus hubs could cross military checkpoints to teach. About a decade later,
taking evening classes at the NCCA myself, I met her former trapeze teacher,
Claire. In one of those beautiful twists that make the circus world feel so
tightly woven, Claire had also travelled out to work with the school, and we
talked about her involvement and how my friend's intervention had helped. I
cannot be certain that the circus project my friend and Claire supported was
this exact organisation, and I have not had time to check before leaving for a
family holiday tomorrow. But the connection resonated nonetheless, that whole
network of commitment and solidarity around grassroots circus in Palestine. The
fact that the performers in Step and a Half were graduates from the school
struck me too, having seen the NCCA’s own graduation show only last month. They
were counterparts, in a sense, and I imagined circus graduates and
professionals based here in the UK sitting in the audience in solidarity. It is
a global family.
As much as the circus connection, it was the mention of
Palestine itself that drew me. Last August I went with a colleague from school,
another Lucy, to see Farah Nabulsi's film The Teacher. It follows a
Palestinian schoolteacher trying to protect his students while navigating the
realities of occupation and concealing an American-Israeli hostage in his
basement. The film brought to life complexities that newspaper articles and
internet arguments never quite reach. That is the power of the arts. They take
something apparently distant and make you sit inside it.
And so, to Walthamstow. I've grown increasingly familiar
with the place these past few weeks. It began with Revel Pucks' A Glimmer
Daze Gambit in a big top, not that you'd know it from this blog, as I'm
still chasing my tail, writing everything out of order. Then, a couple of weeks later, came my first visit to Soho Theatre Walthamstow, for a sharing of Grayson Perry’s autobiographical musical, which is another story still waiting to be told.. The point is,
while I may come from deep south of the river, I can now get up to Walthamstow
in under forty minutes, and it's beginning to feel like a home from home.
I returned this time with yet another Lucy (we are legion),
who'd also come with me to Tao of Glass (See Chapter 243 - click here). Catching up
before the show, taking our seats in the auditorium, I realised with a sinking
feeling that my post about Tao, posted the night before and already
viewed hundreds of times, badly needed an edit. I had written it in haste,
trying to do justice to something that touched on my niece and felt deeply
personal. Having only just made my Instagram public, I felt horribly exposed
there too. But the theatre Wi-Fi was not working. Too late for a quick fix or a
retreat to draft. I simply had to sit with the discomfort.
Fortunately, the moment the performers took the stage,
staying present wasn't difficult.
The performers wandered on stage one by one and then came
together, the music propulsive, joyous, unmistakably Levantine. Picture dancers,
hands round shoulders, in a line or semicircle, “stamping the ground” together,
which gives the Dabkeh dance its name. It threads through the whole
show, in music and in symbol: community, solidarity, connection to the land.
The audience began clapping along, joy through resistance, resilience in
motion. I later learned that the title of the show refers to the rhythmic wahdeh
w nos “one and a half step” in
Dabkeh. To me, it also suggested progress under constraint: not even two full
steps possible, perhaps, but still a step and a half forward. Not two steps
back.
Within minutes the line between stage and auditorium had
dissolved. One performer fell backwards into a crowd of waiting hands. The
audience cheered and whooped. Sandwiched between young children in the rows
ahead and behind, their faces lit with delight, I soaked up that spontaneous exclamation
of wonder, thinking it just might be the most beautiful noise in the world.
There was group juggling, objects passing between performers
in a shared rhythm. A ball dropped, the flow carried on regardless. Moments
like that don't diminish circus, they bring its difficulty into focus and make
the success that follows more exhilarating.
An aerial sequence on straps ended with a performer
suspended by one arm. A voice spoke of the strength of her body, the
possibility of hope. The physical language made the words tangible: strength,
body, hope, resistance. I found myself thinking of the spoken word artist
Polarbear (Steven Camden), who was involved in a Gaza Monologues fundraiser
some years ago. This sequence had that same quality of spoken-word poetry
becoming flesh.
Then Hamed Khdour's Cyr wheel. There is something mesmerising in that circling stillness, particularly the movement that resembles a spinning penny with ever-decreasing momentum. Fresh from Tao I thought of the three rings of light representing three levels of consciousness, the largest reaching down to the most diminutive as the penny settles, sheer essence, and Phelim McDermott's call for Deep Democracy in the world. In the spinning I found the Tao and the Now, connecting to source. My heart went out later, reading a Fest interview (click here) with executive director Mohammad Rabar, to learn that Hamed’s brother was shot at seventeen and that he carries his memory into every performance. The whirling became, in retrospect, not simply extraordinary technique but a deeper connection to love.
The show seemed to hold an impossible number of climaxes. A
diabolo travelled in zigzags of pure joy, at lightning speed with such creativity of patterns that I wished every
juggler I knew could be there to see it. Fire poi traced patterns of light, the
momentum building until the performer bent backwards and a wheel of fire
skimmed his stomach, so precise, how could he not catch fire? The hour flew,
and we were all instantly on our feet at the end, applauding.
In the Q&A, Mohammad described
how the organisation began twenty years earlier, in the aftermath of the Second
Intifada, when checkpoints, walls and violence transformed everyday life. The
circus was founded as a way of working with children and young people,
rebuilding society through art. Despite everything since, he said, circus,
music and dance would keep carrying Palestinian culture from one generation to
the next.
Asked about their dreams, diabolo juggler Noor said he wanted to become a professional artist, perform at the highest level and travel the world. Aerialist Layan Rafidi spoke of wanting to teach as many children as possible, particularly in
Palestine.
Then the showstopper question. What did they want the
audience to take away?
That was the essence of the show. The tragedy of the
situation does not define them. They are joy. They are movement. They are
dance. They are resilience.
Noor thanked the audience for the wizard energy they had given the performers, energy he wanted to carry back to the West Bank to give them patience and strength to survive.
Later, I stepped outside for a few deep breaths (on my vape, a recent habit I really need to drop) and saw the performers sitting together on the
steps. Still tender from my mistake, I might have slipped away. My friend, though, still had that wizard energy in her, and mine returned. That was the energy I wanted the cast to carry away from us too.
On the walk back to the Tube, Lucy and I passed a patisserie that
winked at us. In the window were trompe-l'oeil pears that were actually cakes,
passion fruits made of mousse, all sorts. We went in. On the counter stood a little Laurel
and Hardy statue, a welcome talisman for the clown in the rose-tattoo dress.
The woman serving us, in a hijab, was about to take a break with her son, who was chatting merrily away in Arabic with some adults at another table at the back. The world of the performance gently dissolved into the everyday life around us.
And again that lesson: Stop. Pay attention to what, and who,
is directly in front of you.
There is one final thread I want to pull. My postgraduate
research explored Cuban theatre during the Special Period of the early 1990s,
and how representations of utopia on stage helped people endure economic
crisis, shortages and power cuts. Watching Step and a Half, I was reminded more powerfully than ever of the ability of art to respond to hardship by imagining an alternative future. Joy as an act of resistance. My feed has
been serving up more of the same since: the humanitarian clown Sabine Choucair,
founder of Clown Me In, describing a show where the terrifying buzz of a
military drone was transformed into the sound of a wasp, something that could be comically
chased and squashed.
Performance changes the terms of reality.
Circus may be the ultimate utopian space. It shows us the
apparently impossible, made possible through expertise, discipline,
imagination, trust. In an ensemble, every extraordinary individual achievement
depends on other people too: those who throw, catch, hold, steady, watch.
Which brings me back to that image from the beginning: a
performer falling backwards into a crowd of rising hands. There is trust there.
We are family, lifting each other up. And perhaps, ultimately, that's one message from Palestine to the international community.
Catch us.
Performers: Mohamad AbuTaleb, Hamed Khdour, Julia Rafidi, Omara Sharabati, Layan Rafidi, Sana Joani, Qamar Asbah, Nouraldin Jadallah.
There is also a crowdfunder aiming to raise £10,000 to support the Palestinian Circus’s visits to Soho Theatre and the Edinburgh Fringe. It remains open for donations: www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/the-palestinian-circus-school-comes-to-the-uk
No comments:
Post a Comment