Before I write my fourth and final post on Ensemble Festival, about Garbh, a Gujarati dance performance, I need to take a step back for a moment to provide some context and continuity. That means rewinding to earlier this summer, when I went to Sadler's Wells East in Stratford to see Songs of the Bulbul by Aakash Odedra Dance Company. It was a contemporary dance piece based on a Sufi tale of a songbird that evokes the fleetingness of life. It had cropped up on Instagram, and I was curious.
Sufism, the mystical tradition within Islam, has a habit of turning up in my life without my ever going looking for it. I first came across the term at sixth form when the progressive nuns at school brought the work of Indian Jesuit Anthony de Mello into class, a writer heavily criticised by the Catholic Church, an outlier. His books on breathing and Awareness were threaded with Sufi stories, including the world of Nasrudin in One Minute Nonsense. I loved the humour, that sudden “bouffe”, the preserve of clowning, whether the Master gives the pupil a metaphorical or literal comedy slap in the face to jolt them out of their assumptions, from illusion to reality. So a few years later, when a flatmate asked me what I pictured a Sufi looked like I answered with utter confidence "An Indian monk sitting on a hillside somewhere deep in meditation". She fell about laughing. I had been living with one for months and had no idea. As de Mello would say, neti, neti, not that, not that. And then Sufism came to me through music. A university friend spent time out in Turkey studying the Whirling Dervishes for his dissertation as part of a Music degree, and made tapes for me, while a Spanish mentor friend gave me a cassette of the ney and a book of Sufi poet Ansari, Gritos del Corazón, that I still dip into.
Cries of the heart indeed. This year, with the death of my mother and a body that is struggling to keep up, it feels as though my heart really is crying out, what now? Where to go from here? A wise friend recommended The Conference of the Birds, Attar's parable of enlightenment about a flock of birds on a quest to find the fabled Simorgh. Birds are very much part of my life. I now have the small cushion on which I cross-stitched a pair of blue tits chirruping to their young, which Mum kept beside her to the end. There is the owl in my study that my father carved, the robin on the Common I talk to, thinking hello Dad, and the solitary magpie I salute. They each have their own character. I seem to have been collecting bird metaphors for years. An old post of mine, Bird with a Broken Wing, suddenly came to mind, so I went back and reread it. The themes of fragility, vulnerability and still finding a way to fly seem to resonate here (Chapter 16 - click here). Another recommendation was Elif Shafak's The Forty Rules of Love, the story of an unfulfilled housewife inspired by the deep love between the poet Rumi and the mystic Shams, which I listened to on Audible as a bedtime story to dream on. I don't feel remotely unfulfilled, life has been so rich with experience, but I am seeking clarity. Maybe it's the brain fog, the sense that time is running out and I can't quite wake up. But by the time I walked into Sadler's Wells East with her, I had a whole private mythology built up around what this evening was going to be and what impact it was going to have.
The stage was set with a bed of rose petals and, to the left, a semicircle of candles. The simplicity of the design and other-worldly lighting created a place for the soul to breathe and rest. I knew nothing about the actual story and when Aakash Odedra introduced it, my heart dropped like a stone.
The performance would tell the story of the fabled Bulbul, a songbird whose yearning for the divine is expressed through its song. The dance would take us on a journey of three acts, from the freedom of the bird to its capture and increasing confinement and finally into the ultimate darkness. The cage gets smaller, the light diminishes, the circles tighten, until the bird is left with nothing but itself and the essence of its song.
The second act portrays the world contracting and it feels like ours does too. Heavy metal cylinders drop from above, like the bars of the cage crashing down. The space that had seemed limitless is suddenly a prison, and even the light has narrowed to a single shaft, like the window of a cell. The movement is still beautiful, but the shadows have grown. The bird reaches towards what is no longer there, towards a world it can remember but not see. A single shaft of light becomes almost a character in itself, something to lean towards, to yearn for, and the music shifts from grandeur into something more searching and exposed.
And here comes the sublime moment as the bird's song becomes movement. Odedra spins faster and faster, synchronising with the zikr, the repetition of "Allah Hoo." The Hoo, as I understand it, is the breath of the prayer, the exhalation itself, so the chant becomes the breath of life and breath, movement and prayer become one. Then, with the bird's last breath, a plume of smoke escapes from his mouth, as though the soul itself were being released.
Remember to breathe. In that moment I was back at the threshold, the door at the end of the corridor I had walked through in January to say a final goodbye to my mother. She had breathed her last the night before, barely an hour after I had got back to London to get ready for work the next day. I returned. My chest constricted as I approached the door, struck by an immense solitude, and I still carry that weight between my breastbone.
And now the tears were rolling, as I sat there in the stalls, in the dark, feeling the pressure ebb and flow. This grief for the mother I am missing, alongside the beauty of the spectacle. I couldn't breathe properly for a moment, but the pressure then eased, and I did find release watching Odedra. The songbird who doesn't hold back his breath.
Through it all, the ineffable beauty of Odedra's dance and the power of the emotions it evoked were such that by the end we as an audience had moved beyond the sadness of the ending into the elation of having witnessed the beauty of the songs. Afterwards, my friend and I slipped down to the front row and scooped up the rose petals from the floor (not the stage!), throwing them in the air with sheer joy and the security guard's blessing. He watched us with such paternal amusement that it was clear we weren't the first to have had the idea.
Then, writing this today, I have done some more homework and discovered that Aakash Odedra is not, as I had assumed that evening, from the Whirling Dervish tradition. He is a Kathak dancer, working in an Indian classical tradition whose chakkars, those rapid spinning turns, have an obvious resonance with Sufi whirling. The two traditions are distinct, but they have crossed paths over centuries, particularly as Kathak developed in Muslim courts and absorbed influences from Sufi culture. Suddenly, what I had experienced as two worlds, storytelling and meditation, meeting on stage made rather more sense. And I love that Odedra himself embodies that meeting, in both his heritage and his artistic vision.
Songs of the Bulbul is the work of the Aakash Odedra Company www.akashodedra.com
Lead photo: Maxime Ragni www.kissmaxime.com
No comments:
Post a Comment